You can be a fearless speaker! First, realize that we are all public speakers. Whether you are giving a presentation at work, sharing your opinion at a meeting, or talking to someone one-on-one, you are expressing yourself. The question is, do you feel comfortable and confident being who you are? These 7 steps help you focus on what really matters in any communication—your authentic self:
- BE SILENT – always start from a place of silence. Quiet yourself. Being comfortable without any words is powerful.
- BE PRESENT – Focus on the current moment. Let go of concerns about what has happened before or what might happen in the future.
- BE AWARE – Use your eyes to take in the people you are with. Don’t avoid looking directly at them. Gaze softly and let them see you.
- BE ATTUNED – Listen to those who are listening to you. Listen to yourself before, during, and after the words are spoken.
- BE POSITIVE – Look for the best in others. See the good that is within and don’t get stuck on what they might be thinking.
- BE CONNECTED – Be with one person at a time and be conversational. Speaking to a group at large dissipates your energy.
- BE YOURSELF – The most powerful gift is you. Tap into who you are to allow your authentic voice to come forth.
Doreen’s Essential Speaking Tip:
You can start to practice any of these steps that call to you. The order does not matter. And you can practice anywhere, anytime. For instance, with the step Be Positive, you can look at whoever you are with today, and identify one quality that you like about that person. And with the step Be Present, you can find a quiet place, close your eyes, breathe deeply, and still your mind.